Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar!

Every year when my students learn the letter "C," we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.


So when I saw this photo on Pinterest (orginally from an online article from Pottery Barn Kids), I just knew I had to re-create this AWESOME caterpillar!



Here is what I did!

First, I bought two 3-packs of green paper lanterns from a Party Outlet.


I also purchased a can of red spray paint and painted one of the paper lanterns red.  (The Party Outlet did not have red lanterns.  Besides...I did not want to pay another $7 for one lantern.)


I added a simple nose and eyes using green and yellow construction paper.  When I got to school, I used purple pipe cleaners to make the antennas.

This is what it looked like after I hung it from our classroom ceiling!


Okay, it may not be as cute as the one from Pottery Barn Kids, but I love it and so did my kids when they walked into our classroom!  We spent the morning reading the book, talking about the life cycle of a caterpillar / butterfly, and doing related activities.  My kiddos especially loved the activity in which they "crawled" into their cocoons (a sheet), wrapped themselves up, and then emerged as beautiful butterflies!

Thanks for stopping by!  :)







2 comments:

Comments make my day!