Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Saturday, November 7, 2015

Five for Fraturday


Don't you just LOVE Kacey's weekly linky party!?  I sure do!  I may not get around to posting every week, but when I have time, I love knowing she is always there to host!



November!?  How did that happen!?!  Ah, well...I guess I need to just embrace it.  I am totally in love with my new calendar cards!



We took 15 minutes or so on Friday to celebrate 10 days of 100% perfect attendance by having a basketball shoot-out!  It was a fun, free, and easy-to-implement activity. 



I started a new high-frequency word practice activity to my students this week.  They went on a HFW hunt in books.  I introduced this activity to the whole group and they searched in books for about 15 - 20 minutes, but moving forward, this sheet is just going to go into their reading toolkits and they an add to it as they see fit.

I kept it pretty simple: 1) find a sentence that has the HFW, 2) write the sentence, and 3) highlight the HFW.


My students voted on which Election Day-themed book to read.


We graphed the ballots.


Note to self for next year: Do not use bingo dabbers.  The paint smeared when the kids folded their ballots and it was difficult to tell which book they voted for.  *sigh*



My students practiced writing high-frequency words in shaving cream...errrr..."Magic Spelling Foam."  They loved it, of course!

Enjoy your weekend and thanks for stopping by!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Magic Spelling Foam! That is priceless! I used shaving cream to do math problems and practice spelling in my third grade class and we always commented for days after it that our room smelled like dads! Have a great weeekend!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I even found a free printable on TPT to stick on the can of shaving cream: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Magic-Spelling-Foam-Label--262291 The kids are really convinced that it is magic spelling foam when they see that!

      Delete

Comments make my day!