Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Sunday, January 13, 2013

Teacher Appreciation Days - Discounts for YOU!

When I told my husband last weekend that I wanted to go to Barnes and Noble because they were having a 50% off all holiday books sale, he knew I would be gone for a few hours and my wallet would come back a little lighter.  :)  For the first time since I became a mommy, I was able to go into one of my FAVORITE stores, sip on a Spiced Vanilla Latte, and casually peruse every book in sight.  Ahhhh!  It was wonderful.
 
 
Before I get into the treasures that I found, I need to tell you that Teacher Appreciation Days at Barnes and Noble have started - Saturday, January 12th through Sunday, January 20th!  With your educator's card, you will receive 25% off EVERYTHING in the store (not just classroom-related items).  If you do not already have an educator's card, simply bring proof of employment to sign up.  On regular days, you receive 20% classroom-related items only.

Okay, now on to the goodies!  Here are some children's books that I am excited about:

 
"If You Lived at the Time of Martin Luther King," "I Have a Dream," and "The Skin I'm In"

 
The "I Have a Dream" book included a CD of Dr. Martin Luther King's original speech.  One of my 4th grade groups is currently listening to and talking about this infamous speech... and they are so loving it!
 
 
"Looking After Louis" by Lesley Ely is about a boy with autism and how his peers respond to him.  The story sends such a powerful and important message about compassion and understanding.
 
 
 
 
"Incredible You! 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through" by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer... I am looking forward to reading this one at one of our upcoming Goody Goody Club meetings at school.  :)
 
 
"Leave Me Alone:  A Tale of What Happens When You Stand Up to a Bully" by Kes Gray and Lee Wildish is a straight-forward and simple story that shows children the importance of using their voice when they are not treated fairly.


 
You can go ahead and ignore the price tag that says "$19.99" because I got this "Alphabet Exercise" DVD for FREE!!  (Okay, maybe I had to buy two other DVDs to make that happen, but I am not the type of girl to pass up a Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal!)
 
 
I have to admit that I was disappointed at the selection of holiday books that were left when I arrived.  Oh well, at least I got these for 50% off!
 
 
 
If you ladies love Harry Connick, Jr. like I do, you will enjoy "The Happy Elf," especially the CD that comes along with the book.
 
 
My 2nd graders are in the middle of their "Winter" thematic unit, so I thought these bargain books might come handy at some point:  "The First Snow" for $5.98 and "Cub's First Winter" for the same price.


 
I have been trying to pick up gifts as I see them on sale throughout the year (instead of Christmas shopping at the last minute).  I found these... all for 50% off.  Don't you just LOVE that!?
 
Despite the fact that I was at Barnes and Noble last weekend, I already have plans to return tomorrow!  I know, I know...I have a book and coffee disease addiction.  Here are some books I have my eye on (among many others):

 
"Splat Says Thank You!" by Rob Scotton

 
"Being Frank" by Donna Earnhardt is about a boy who is a little too honest and learns a good lesson.

 
"Snowmen at Work" by Caralyn Buehner

 
I absolutely LOVE this book and the powerful message that it sends!!  The story is about an apple who meets a new friend, a worm.  The apple is teased by other apples for "having worms."  The apple is hurt and a little confused, but he continues to love his friend.  Eventually, the worm leaves without saying goodbye because he cannot stand to see his friend teased so badly.  You will have to get your hands on the book to read the ending!!  :)

 
"Watch Your Tongue, Cecily Beasley" by Lane Fredrickson is about a girl with poor manners who sticks out her tongue all the time... until one day some strange items get STUCK to her tongue!  She learns an important life lesson through the process.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
On a completely different note, today is a big day for me - I put up my very first product on Teachers Pay Teachers for sale... and I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about it.  I have always posted everything for free (which, by the way, I will continue to post FREEBIES) because it has never cost me money to make them AND the word "infringement" scares me, LOL.  But this time, I purchased some clip art and I thought I might try to make that money back.  Anyway, I think I followed all guidelines and I do not believe I have broken any rules, so hopefully this is a good start!
 
Soooo... if you are looking for some fun Community Workers Matching Cards to compliment our "Community Workers" unit, I would absolutely LOVE if you visited my TPT store by clicking HERE!
 
 
As always, thank you for stopping by!  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!