Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Monday, January 9, 2012

My Favorite MLK, Jr. Book!

If you can get your hands on this big book, grab it and do not let go!


"The March" written by Jane Ann Thomas and illustrated by Gary Gianni

It is random LUCK that I own this book.  My father-in-law (a retired Nystrom employee) had all these left-over classroom materials in his garage.  Since he was no longer selling, he game most of them to me!  This awesome book was included.

I will be honest...I was hesitant at first to read it to my Kinders because it is a bit long.  But after two years, I have learned that this book has a HUGE impact on their understanding of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement.  The story is told from the perspective of the two little girls (on the front cover), so the students relate to their point-of-view.  Even my most talkative students sit quietly and wide-eyed, listen attentively, and ask appropriate questions throughout the book.

What MLK books do you use in your classroom?  I would love to hear about other good ones out there.  Thanks for stopping by!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!