Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Monday, September 26, 2011

My New Favorite Science Book!

Okay, I have to admit that I did not actually read this book until TODAY, but it is now my new favorite Science book!!


What is Science? is written by Rebecca Kai Dotlich and is illustrated by Sachiko Yoshikawa.  The text is simple and straight-forward.  The illustrations are colorful and engaging for young learners.  I know of no better book that teaches the general idea of Science like this picture book does.

I read the book aloud to my students and then they went back to their desks to color a picture in order to show what Science means to them.  The students then dictated a sentence for me to write using this sentence frame:  "Science is..."  I was so impressed with their work!


Here are some close-ups of individual student's work.





This one is my favorite for sure!  "Science is finding stuff in the water."


I grabbed this "Science" image online, slapped the word "is" underneath it, and we had a sign!


I am starting to REALLY LOVE SCIENCE!!

Please be sure to stop by TBA - Teaching Blog Addict to find out what other great Science books teachers use in their classrooms.  Consider posting YOUR favorite book as well!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE their responses. This is such a great activity!


    Jena
    1st Grade with Miss Snowden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just seeing this ... thank you, Mrs. Unger! I am honored that What Is Science? is your favorite science book for K's.
    I have cute postcards from the publisher for this book and would love to send you a few. Let me know where!
    Rebecca
    www.rebeccakaidotlich.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!