Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Magical Music Box

So I have to admit:  I have not actually tried this classroom management idea quite yet.  However, I plan to start this school year (and since I work at a year-round school, our first day is on Monday, so we will be starting sooner than later).

Anyway, find that music box you have stuffed away in your supply closet, dust it off, and smile because now you have a good use for it!  Each week (or day, whichever you prefer) wind up the music box.  When your little scholars are too noisy, open the music box.  Once they have lowered their voices, close the music box.  If the music box has music yet to be played at the end of the week, celebrate!  Maybe you might bring in a special treat, maybe the students get 5 extra minutes of recess...whatever motivates them!  If all the music is done or "gone" by the end of the week, have the students come up with a plan of action on how they can keep their music on the music box.

Okay...after a couple of months passed since I wrote this post, I FINALLY got my hands on a music box.  It is not the most child-friendly or colorful music box in the world, but it was free.  (Actually, it was a gift that I purchased for my mother and she never used it, so I took it back, HEHE.)





It has a "Wizard of Oz" theme, specifically the Wicked Witch.  Like I said, not exactly Kinder-friendly, but it will get the job done.

I hope you are able to use this idea!  If you do, let me know how it works out.  :)  Thanks for stopping by!






3 comments:

  1. Wow! First day is coming up! It sounds like a great idea, can't wait to hear how it turns out! Have fun next week and thanks for linking up! :)

    hadar

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. May just have to pick up a music box - for a thrift shop, of course.

    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FINALLY got my hands on a music box the other day! (Okay, maybe I stole it from my mom's closet. She'll never know it's missing, hehe.) I am so grateful to have found one because my kids are soooo---> chatty this year! I cannot wait until our school is back in session again to try it out!

    Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!