Home Mrs. Unger's Unbelievable Elementary Experiences! Meet The Teacher Classroom Tour Contact Me Image Map

















Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Art Integration, Name Writing, Measurement, Colors and Patterns...All in One!

My summer was pretty awesome overall and one of the (many) reasons I enjoyed it so much was because of this Fine Arts Methods class I took during my grad program.  The instructor was AWESOME and she gave us so many great ideas in regards to incorporating the arts into our general education classrooms.  Anyway, I credit her for the idea I am about to share with you.  :)


The supplies you will need include:
- watercolor paints
- paint brush
- dark crayons (black is probably best)
- white construction paper (the longer type)
- cup of water
- pencil
- ruler (if working with older children)

1 - If you are working with students who know how to measure...they should measure 3 inch by 3 inch squares using a ruler and pencil.  If you are working with younger children, you will have to do this part for them ahead of time.

2 - Using a pencil, the students write the letters of their name (one letter in each box).  They should try to use the entire space within the box.

3 - The students trace over all pencil marks with a dark crayon, such as black.

4 - The students then use the watercolor paints to fill in ALL white spaces.  They need to think this through ahead of time, so they make a pattern.  Notice in the photo, all my "M"s are the same, all my "R"s are the same, etc.

Ta-da!  That's it!  By the way, this art technique is called "Crayon Resist," in case you were wondering.

I taught Arts and Crafts (grades Kindergarten through 5th grade) this summer and we did this project only with the intermediate students.  They LOVED it!  I think Kindergarten students could do this with help (and if you measure the boxes for them ahead of time).  I think I will give it a shot.  Let me know if you try it and how it goes!  Have fun!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!